    SubjectRe: several messages
        Have you done any tests with a threaded process running on a single CPU in
    the siblings? If they are sharing data and locks in the same cache it's
    not obvious (to me at least) that it would be faster in two CPUs having to
    do updates. That's a question, not an implication that it is significantly
    better in just one, a threaded program with only two threads is not as
    likely to be doing the same thing in both, perhaps.

    True. I have a hunch (and it's only a hunch -- no hard data!) that
    two threads that are sharing the same data will do better if they can
    be located on a physical/sibling processor group. For workloads where
    you really do have two distinct processes, or even threads but which are
    operating on wholly different portions of data or code, moving them to
    separate physical processors may be warranted. The key is whether the
    work of one sibling is destroying the cache of another.

    Rick

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.019 / U:31.768 seconds]