SubjectRe: 2.5 kernel hangs system
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Dave Mehler wrote:

> Hello,
> Ok, i've got a 2.5.68 kernel compilation that when i try to boot it it
> hangs the system. It gives me hex codes after it loads the kernel or if i
> have it load an initrd, it loads that then gives hex codes and stops.
> I've got output from lspci -v and my config file at the following url:
> www.davemehler.net
> Suggestions are desperately needed.
> If there's missing information that i should post please let me know and i
> will post it.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

First, I don't understand how as you say, "suggestions are
desperately needed" on a developmental kernel. These things are
not known to work on all configurations and some information like
"It gives me hex codes..." is worthless. Please write down
these "hex-codes" and, after booting a version the works, run them
through ksymoops. If you don't know what that is:

The latest version can be found in
ftp://ftp.<country>.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/ksymoops together
with patches to other utilities in order to give more accurate Oops
debugging.

FYI, after you run the text through ksymoops, you may find that it
occurs in a module that you really don't need to load at boot time.
Just remove that from initrd and try again.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.047 / U:0.848 seconds]