SubjectRe: Are linux-fs's drive-fault-tolerant by concept?
Date
On 19 April 2003 23:33, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> I'm not against this in principle, but in practise it is almost
> useless. Modern disk drives do bad sector remapping at write time, so
> unless something is terribly wrong you will never see a write error
> (which is exactly the time that the filesystem could do such
> remapping). Normally, you will only see an error like this at read
> time, at which point it is too late to fix.

It is *not* useless.

I have at least 4 disks with some bad sectors. Know what?
They are still in use in a school lab and as 'big diskettes'
(transferring movies etc). I refuse to dump them just because
'todays disks are cheap'. I don't want my fs to die just because
these disks develop (ohhhh) a single new bad sector.
--
vda