    SubjectRe: [patch] printk subsystems

    > Would the debug level be for the entire subsystem? Do you think people would
    > like to be able to set debug/logging level per driver or device, and not just
    > subsystem?

    I can see a use for doing per-object debug levels, but I'd rather not add
    the overhead to every object, especially when it would be used by a small
    minority of the populace.

    Such a flag could easily be placed in the subsystem-specific object, and
    accessed through the logging/debugging wrappers.

    > Is debugging level here the same as logging level?

    > I like the idea of having logging levels, which include debug, defined by
    > subsystem. Each subsystem will have separate requirements for logging.
    > Networking, for instance, already has the NETIF_MSG* levels defined in
    > netdevice.h that can be set with Ethtool. I can see, for example, having the
    > msg_enable not in the private data as it is now but in the subsystem or class
    > structure for that device, such as in struct net_device. This could easily be
    > exported through sysfs.

    It would be nice. Unfortunately, it's only a nifty pipe-dream at the
    moment, unless some lucky volunteer would like to step forward. ;)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.018 / U:1.148 seconds]