    SubjectRe: How to configure an ethernet dev as PtP ?
    On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I tried to configure an ethernet device as a pointopoint link recently, just to
    > find out that this does not work as one would expect via:
    > ifconfig eth0 pointopoint up
    > I tried on kernel 2.4.21-pre6 and 2.2.19 (just to name two), both the same. It
    > comes up as:
    > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:76:F7:E9:17
    > inet addr: Bcast: Mask:
    > I do not understand why this does not work out just like another ptp-interface
    > like isdn:
    > isdn0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr FC:FC:00:00:00:00
    > inet addr: P-t-P: Mask:
    > Is there anything I mis-understood or a good reason for not being able to make
    > eth pointopoint?
    > I have the feeling this question is pretty brain-dead, but anyway, maybe some
    > kind soul can drop a few words ...
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Stephan

    Because ethernet is not a point-to-point interface. At the hardware
    level, ethernet talks from one hardware address to another hardware
    address, i.e., the IEEE station address. You need ARP to find out
    what that address is so you can't "get there from here." But, you
    can do essentially the same thing, you set up a host route on
    that interface.

    Use a 'private' network address...

    On one host:

    ifconfig eth1 netmask broadcast
    route add -host my-router-ip-address dev eth1

    On the other host:
    ifconfig eth1 netmask broadcast
    route add -host my-client-ip-address dev eth1

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.045 / U:3.052 seconds]