    SubjectRe: Lack of documentation (Was: Re: kernel support for non-English user messages)
    On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, John Bradford wrote:

    > > > If I could *write* the documentation, I wouldn't need it,
    > > > now would I? Maybe that's the problem...
    >
    > > If nobody would write the docs, nobody would read them ;)
    >
    > Compare:
    >
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hacking-guide/hhg.html
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/users-guide/using_gnuhurd.html
    >
    > with /Documentation
    >
    > I think we can do better. I have made several offers to compile
    > documentation that is forwarded to me in to a more user-friendly
    > format, but few people seem interested.
    >
    > John.

    John, the problem is that documentation either lives within the code,
    where it has a small chance of being kept up to date, or it lives
    separately and hasn't a cat in hell's chance of staying accurate. Add
    in Linus's apparent lack of interest in documentation, and creating an
    extra file is just a waste of time, which is a pity.

    I like the idea of better documentation, but I don't think we've
    started to address the 'what' and 'who-for' questions yet.

    (and if anybody wants to respond to me, don't expect prompt answers,
    I'll be away from tomorrow until Thursday :)

    Ken