    SubjectRe: kernel support for non-English user messages
    On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 19:29, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Some people care about documentation, some people don't. That's a fact,
    > and spouting platitudes about "improving their work" just doesn't
    > _matter_. The whole open source idea is that people do what they care
    > about and what they are good at, and exactly because they aren't forced to
    > deal with issues they don't have a heart for they take more pride and
    > interest in the stuff they _do_ do.

    Newbies as me do care about documentation ;-) The Linux kernel is
    getting more complex over time, and I appreciate some kind of
    architectural docs to know more about the inner workings. Personally, I
    don't have all the time I would like to explore and investigate, so a
    50,000-feet-point-of-view and some detailed documentation about VM,
    scheduler and net are welcome.

    Kernel experts as you (Linus, Andrew, Alan, Russell, Jeff and many
    others whose names I must leave out as I don't have space to name them
    all) probably know the inner workings better than anyone as they work
    with it every day, but people new to kernel hacking need some starting

    > Personally, I don't write documentation. I don't much even write comments
    > in my code. My personal feeling is that as long as functions are small and
    > readable (and logical), and global variables have good names, that's all I
    > need to do. Others - who do care about comments and docs - can do that
    > part.

    Well, some functions and variable names may seem readable and logical to
    some, but it takes time for me to decipher some of them :-)

    Linux Registered User #287198

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.020 / U:58.272 seconds]