    SubjectRe: 2.5 'what to expect' document.
    On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 08:31:44PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:

    > Kernel build system.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > - make xconfig now requires the qt libraries.
    - An alternative that uses gtk exitst, named 'make gconfig'

    > - Try "make KBUILD_VERBOSE=0 <whatever target>". If you like it,
    > put KBUILD_VERBOSE=0 into your environment.
    You could mention the much shorter "make V=0" version.

    "make help" provides a list of typical targets, including debugging targets such as allnoconfig etc.

    > - "make kernel/mm.o" will build the named file, provided a
    > corresponding source exists. This also works for (non-composite)
    > modules.
    IIRC this is broken for modules at present.

    "make kernel/" will compile all files in a subdirectory and below.

    > - There is no need to run 'make dep' at any stage

    "make dep" is actually deprecated and for no use since one or
    two months ago.

    > - The bdflush() syscall is now officially deprecated. The syscall
    > does nothing, and prints a stern warning to users. The functionality
    > is replaced by the pdflush deamons.
    Can I safely delete /sbin/update from my initscripts then?

    Sam

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.024 / U:0.276 seconds]