    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] udev 0.1 release

    > And yes, we could use ascii in the event list, but then again, a
    > userspace version of /sbin/hotplug that writes events to a pipe that is
    > read from a daemon enables the same thing to happen :)

    No, it doesn't. You throw away the ordering the kernel naturally has.
    If you write out events from within the kernel, you know that you'll
    never see a replug before an unplug.

    Writing a pipe from the kernel, which is generally called a character
    device, has other advantages as well.
    You can report events dropped as errors. The hotplug spawning
    scheme cannot do that. No spawning cannot differentiate between
    no event and an event lost.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.019 / U:7.268 seconds]