    SubjectRe: 2.4.20-ck5

    I've compiled a new kernel using the ck5 patchset you made, but have had
    some problems. It seems that with my configuration, I expose a memory
    leak somewhere. After the system has been up for a while, or if I try to
    compile anything non-trivial (kde-libs for example), The system will use
    up all available memory and further memory alloc's fail. Swap is hardly
    being used in this case. My syslog file does report:

    Apr 10 19:06:19 waltsathlon kernel: __alloc_pages: 1-order allocation
    failed (gfp=0x1f0/0)
    Apr 10 19:06:19 waltsathlon kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation
    failed (gfp=0xf0/0)
    Apr 10 19:06:19 waltsathlon kernel: __alloc_pages: 1-order allocation
    failed (gfp=0x1f0/0)

    Typically, apps fail although the OOM killer isn't triggered (not sure
    if it's enabled in ck5).

    I'm wondering if there's a strange interaction with XFS? I also use the
    Nvidia driver, however, I also tested without loading it and receive the
    same results. My XFS thought is due to the strange behaviour of the
    filesystem with this patchset. When I tried compiling kdelibs, the
    system chugged along until memory was used (15-20 mins) and then the
    compile could no longer proceed. After seeing this and issuing a 'sync',
    the drives thrashed for approx. 30-45 seconds as if flushing unwritten
    data. It's as if writes are being stored indefinitely? Reverting back to
    ck4 and all is well. System info below:

    Chaintech 7KDD 760MPX MB
    2 x AMD 2400MP
    1 GB ECC Ram
    2-2 disk striped arrays - 1 software MD, 1 Promise Fasttrak
    XFS filesystem on all mount points except boot
    Compiled with GCC-3.2.2

    Anything else you need? Please CC as I'm not subscribed. Thanks,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.022 / U:12.856 seconds]