    SubjectRe: kernel support for non-english user messages
    Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

    > 1) What happens when *multiple* programs have a file open at the same time?
    > If you only handle one level of versioning, somebody is going to lose. Handling
    Sure -which is why this isn't so useful.

    > multiple levels is of course more "fun". And you get to worry about race
    > conditions - does your code DTRT if multiple processes do an open() on alternate
    > CPUs at the same time. Does it DTRT if a process open()s a file, and then fork()s,
    > and both parent and child start scribbling on the file descriptor?
    >
    > 2) For that matter, should new versions be created at open() or at the first write()?
    > Doing it at write() allows not creating a new version if no changes have
    > actually happened - but this has its own issues.

    Simple solution - duplicate at open() but remove on close() if unchanged.

    > 3) Version a 500 megabyte file. Change one block. Do it a few more times.
    > Are you better off copying the whole file (which bloats your disk usage and
    > kills your I/O bandwidth), or keeping deltas (the list of allocated blocks could be
    > almost identical except for the replaced/rewritten blocks). However, this DOES
    > make doing an fsck() a *lot* more interesting - is a block allocated to multiple
    > files in error or not?

    If you want this, you want a copy-on-write fs. Of course it needs a
    different fsck.

    > 4) What happens if you rename() a file?
    It is renamed - nothing special there. Renaming onto an existing file
    makes the renamed file the most recent version of that file.
    "mv foo;2 foo" turns foo;2 into the current version - this is one
    way of restoring an old version without deleting the newer ones.

    > Can you open() a previous version for
    > writing? If so, does it get versioned? How does a backup program restore a
    > previous version?

    VMS let you open() any previous version for writing. I don't remember
    exactly,
    but I believe this creates a new version with a version number higher
    than the
    highest existing version of the file. Either that, or you modify the
    old file.

    Backup is not a problem. You don't want to create new versions while
    restoring,
    so either remove existing files before recreating from backup (You
    can then explicitly create "file.txt;45") or implement some open flag
    that means "use exactly this filename - no messing with versioning" I
    think the
    first approach is better it keeps the interface smaller.

    > 5) Let's say we use VMS-style filenames to version. foo, foo;2, foo;3, etc.
    > Now, is open("foo;2",...) a reference to the previous version of foo or to a new
    > file that happens to be called foo;2? What happens if some other file happens
    > to be called foo;2 and you create a version of foo?

    I remember trying this. If foo;3 exists (but not foo;2 and lower) then
    the numbering of new versions go upwards and simply skips the existing ones.

    > 6) OK, since anything besides \0 and / is legal in a filename, we can't use ;N to
    > version.
    We can if we want to - by redefining whats legal. This isn't a problem
    at all
    if we take the approach that opening "foo" does the versioning automatically
    while explicitly opening "foo;x" opens that particular version. Users
    creating
    a "fake" version of a file isn't a problem - they simply created a new
    version
    that happened to not be based on the contents of the previous one.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.028 / U:91.104 seconds]