    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] udev 0.1 release
    Joel Becker wrote:

    > On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:31:28AM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
    >
    >>- if any partitions are found, they are registered with the kernel using
    >>device-mapper ioctls
    >>- because these new "mapped sections" of the drive are _also_ usable block
    >>devices in their own right, they generate hotplug events
    >

    > In reality, we need /dev/disk0 for disks, and /dev/part0 for
    > partitions, and /dev/lv0 for logical volumes from the LVM. There's
    > going to be a war over this naming, and that's why this is hard.
    >
    > Joel

    No doubt. And then you get into the situation where the devices themselves have
    names and/or UUIDs, and you want that to be incorporated into the device name.
    As it stands today, the only way to achieve that is pass that information to
    device-mapper so it can create devices with those names.

    Personally, I wouldn't be upset if _all_ "physical volumes" (meaning an
    accessible block devices or portion thereof) appeared under /dev/volume/... Even
    logical volumes could be done that way, since they have names as well. I don't
    really see the need to have "whole disks", "partitions" and other types of
    volumes in separate directories under /dev, but then I may be way off base with
    the rest of the world wants to do :-)