    SubjectRe: kernel support for non-English user messages

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Riley Williams wrote:
    > Whilst I agree with the general sentiments above, any such code would
    > require some sort of code attached to each message for it to look up,

    I've used VMS, and error code number encoding is a total heap of crap.

    If you can't translate the message based on the _message_, then don't
    bother. I'm not adding codes for different errors, it becomes just an
    unreadable mess, and adds _zero_ to stability or readability, and it's
    horrible for maintenance - suddenly you need to worry about silly numbers
    for anything you print out, so you stop printing stuff or you re-use codes
    that don't make sense.

    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. This is one of those "good
    intentions" things - it sounds like it's a nice helper thing, but it's
    nothing but a load of maintenance headaches and causes horrible printout

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.019 / U:4.680 seconds]