    SubjectRe: devfs + PCI serial card = no extra serial ports
    On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 03:28:28PM -0800, Bryan Whitehead wrote:
    > I just found this:
    > Has this patch been accepted into the new kernel series? Or should I
    > just toss this card (the NetMos PCI I/O card)?

    No, and no. Try these patches (apply in this order, may need
    some hand-patching to apply to the current 2.4.21-pre source):

    Please test - I'd like to know if it works for you. It should -
    I have 3 such cards in 2 servers, running patched 2.4.20 kernel
    in production use for 3 months now (mainly serial ports used, but
    2S1P cards were cheaper than 2S cards...). Attempts to submit
    the changes have been ignored, so I gave up...

    NetMos support was already in early 2.4.x kernels, later removed:

    * parport_serial.c: Remove NetMos support, since it causes problems
    for some people.

    No idea what exactly these problems are, who "some people" are, why
    NetMos support was not simply made a config option conditional on
    CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL, and why the link order bugfix (separate patch,
    which only fixes an obvious bug) has been ignored too.

    Perhaps you will have more luck than I did - test your card with the
    patches for some time, if it works try to submit the patches again...

    > >I hoped after "setting up" the serial ports with setserial some magic
    > >would happen and they would apear in /dev/tts... but I was wrong.

    I don't use devfs, so I never had this problem.

    Hope this helps,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.020 / U:3.096 seconds]