    SubjectRe: 2.5.51 CRC32 undefined
    On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 15:49, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > I don't want to have configs like this. I personally refuse to load
    > modules into my kernel, and as such a subsystem that only works as a
    > module is _evil_.

    It works built-in and would continue to do so with this patch applied.

    It's built into your kernel _automatically_ if anything built-in
    requires it. That's done by the makefiles. Likewise, it's built as a
    module automatically if anything modular in your tree requires it.

    The config option is _only_ relevant if you are explicitly adding crc32
    in the knowledge that you're going to build an _external_ module which
    requires it.

    However, setting the config option to 'Y' when you have only _modular_
    stuff which requires it is broken because it doesn't actually get pulled
    in from lib/lib.a, because nothing references it.

    --
    dwmw2