    SubjectRe: [patch] "HT scheduler", sched-2.5.63-B3

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > So I'm a happy camper, and will be using Ingo's combo patch. But I do
    > not use XMMS and xine and things like that - they may be running like
    > crap with these patches. [...]

    one thing the -A5 patch does is that it decreases the default timeslice
    value from 150 msecs to 100 msecs. While increasing the timeslice seemed
    like a good idea originally (and even with -A5 it's still higher than in
    2.4), 150 msecs was too much, it did end up causing just that little bit
    of extra latency to audio apps that made them skip more likely. So audio
    apps might as well perform a bit better. Certain gaming related problems i
    suspect are related to the too long timeslice length as well.

    one of the problems with XMMS is that it's often not just an audio app -
    it has plugins with fancy graphics, which take up much more CPU time than
    the audio decoding/feeding itself, and it's not as threaded as eg. xine.
    It was _this_ interaction that was the root of many XMMS complaints - not
    the fact that XMMS does audio.

    the xine situation i dont think will change with these patches, xine
    simply uses up 90% of CPU time soft-playing a DVD from the DVD player, on
    a 500 MHz x86 CPU, and that makes it qualify as a CPU-hog no matter what.
    Furthermore, it uses the Xv extension which makes it communicate much less
    with X itself. But xine's problems are not due to interactive tasks, xine
    is hurting due to other CPU-hogs (stuff that triggers in desktops
    regularly) taking away timeslices. I believe we should still enable
    application programmers to give certain apps _some_ minor priority boost,
    so that other CPU hogs cannot starve xine. The fact that xine was playing
    back perfectly with a +2 boost shows that this could be a quite powerful

    But indeed this all needs to be re-checked with the latest scheduler.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.051 / U:98.256 seconds]