    SubjectRe: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone
    Hi!

    > > Can you elaborate? I thought that this
    > > "real DAG" structure is more or less
    > > equivalent to each developer having
    > > his owm CVS repository...
    >
    > Nope. CVS uses RCS, and RCS only knows about trees, not graphs.
    > Specifically, branch merges are not tagged as such, and as a result
    > CVS is unable to pick up the best grandparent when doing a merge.
    > That's the main reason of why branching under CVS is so painful
    > (forgetting about the performance issues).

    I see. But I still somehow can not understand how merging is
    possible. Merge possibly means work-by-hand, right? So it is not as
    simple as noting that 1.8 and 1.7.1.1 were merged into 1.9, no? [And
    what if developer did really crap job at merging that, like dropping
    all changes from 1.7.1.1?]

    > > If I fixed CVS renames, added atomic
    > > commits, splits and merges, and gave each
    > > developer his own CVS repository,
    > > would I be in same league as bk?
    > > Ie 10 times slower but equivalent
    > > functionality?
    >
    > Nope. You'll find out that this per-developper repository quickly
    > needs to become a per-branch repository, and even need you need to
    > write somewhere when the merges with other repositories happen, and
    > you end up with the DAG again.

    Yep, that's what I wanted to know. [I see per-branch repository is
    pain, but it helps me to understand that.]

    Thanx for your explanations,
    Pavel
    --
    Horseback riding is like software...