SubjectRe: Direct access to parport
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Eric Lammerts wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Uwe Reimann wrote:
> > I'd like to connect some self made hardware to the parallel port and
> > read the values of the dataline using linux. Can this be done in
> > userspace or do I have to write kernel code to do so? I'm currently
> > thinking of writing a device like lp, which in turn uses the parport
> > device. Does this sound like a good idea?
>
> >From userspace it's quite simple:

[ioperm-based suggestion removed]

A better idea may be to use ppdev - the portable and safe way to access a
paralell port directly. This driver is in the stock kernels. This prevents
races between the kernel and userland over control for the paralell port.

Peter
--
Peter Svensson ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu> ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3 07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF