    SubjectRe: Those ruddy punctuation fixes
    >> Wait, this sounds like a conversation with the Mafia:
    >> "Pay us protection money."
    >> "Why do we need to pay you for protection?"
    >> "So we can protect you from criminals like ourselves."
    > That's a ridiculous comparison and it weakens your argument. Leaving a

    Reductio ad absurdum is often enlightening.

    > potential problem in place rather than fixing it as I did would be the
    > passive-aggressive approach, not the other way around.

    But that's not exactly what you're doing - you're replacing one
    (very small) problem with another (very real) problem, the breakage
    of people's patches. Fixing up patches because of spelling
    errors is a total waste of developer's time.

    >> I'd rather solve this problem by making standalone spelling fixes and
    >> other cosmetic changes taboo. Cosmetic changes combined with actual
    >> useful code changes are fine with me. If you're risking breaking the
    >> build, there should be some benefit that justifies the risk.
    > Breaking the build is a low probability (many hundreds of fixes and one
    > build break AFAIK) and low consequence failure (a build fix of that
    > nature is obvious and quickly and easily done).

    Breaking the build is indeed a low probability (assuming you compile
    test your tree). Breaking other people's patches is a high probablility.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.022 / U:137.116 seconds]