    SubjectRe: [patch] "HT scheduler", sched-2.5.63-B3

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > > okay, here's a patch that merges Linus' "priority boost backmerging" and
    > > my CPU-hog-detection-improvement patches.
    >
    > I was actually going to suggest making the CPU-hog detector _worse_, to
    > see what the extreme behaviour of the "boost balancing" is. One of the
    > things I would hope for is that the interactivity balancing would act as
    > a damper on the CPU hug detector, and make it less important to get that
    > one right in the first place.

    this does not appear to happen, at least with the current incarnation,
    make -j5 jobs of the kernel tree (on UP), with your patch alone are
    hoovering at a considerably higher dynamic priority than they are with my
    patch. But interactivity itself is good as far as i can tell, in both
    cases - but i think Andrew would be a better tester in this regard.

    plus my patch doesnt really change the core CPU-hog detector, what it does
    is that it changes the way children/parents will inherit priorities, plus
    changes the order of how children get their first timeslice. The
    end-effect is that the 'CPU-hog' make job is better recognized as that -
    but X itself will not be recognized in any different way.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.020 / U:0.564 seconds]