    SubjectRe: [patch] "HT scheduler", sched-2.5.63-B3

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Pardon the suggestion of a dumb hueristic, feel free to ignore me:
    > would it work to run-first processes that have modified their iopl()
    > level? i.e. "if you access hardware directly, we'll treat you specially
    > in the scheduler"?

    we did this in the Red Hat kernel, just as a quick hack to boost X without
    having to modify X (bleh). While it worked very well in practice, it's a
    really bad idea from an interface design POV, because it singles out X
    mostly based on a random characteristics of X, but leaves out some other
    tasks that are 'suffering' from not being recognized as interactive, but
    still having a user watching them (and expecting keypresses to react
    fast): games, xine, XMMS, etc.

    > An alternative is to encourage distros to set some sort of flag for
    > processes like the X server, when it is run. This sounds suspiciously
    > like the existing "renice X server" hack, but it could be something like
    > changing the X server from SCHED_OTHER to SCHED_HW_ACCESS instead.

    yes, an ELF flag might work, or my suggestion to allow applications to
    increase their priority (up until a certain degree).

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.020 / U:30.780 seconds]