    SubjectRe: [patch] "HT scheduler", sched-2.5.63-B3

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > the whole compilation (gcc tasks) will be rated 'interactive' as well,
    > because an 'interactive' make process and/or shell process is waiting on
    > it.

    No. The make that is waiting for it will be woken up _once_ - when the
    thing dies. Marking it interactive at that point is absolutely fine.

    > I tried something like this before, and it didnt work.

    You can't have tried it very hard.

    In fact, you haven't apparently tried it hard enough to even bother giving
    my patch a look, much less apply it and try it out.

    > the xine has been analyzed quite well (which is analogous to the XMMS
    > problem), it's not X that makes XMMS skip, it's the other CPU-bound tasks
    > on the desktops that cause it to skip occasionally. Increasing the
    > priority of xine to just -1 or -2 solves the skipping problem.

    Are you _crazy_?

    Normal users can't "just increase the priority". You have to be root to do
    so. And I already told you why it's only hiding the problem.

    In short, you're taking a very NT'ish approach - make certain programs run
    in the "foreground", and give them a static boost because they are
    magically more important. And you're ignoring the fact that the heuristics
    we have now are clearly fundamentally broken in certain circumstances.

    I've pointed out the circumstances, I've told you why it happens and when
    it happens, and you've not actually even answered that part. You've only
    gone "it's not a problem, you can fix it up by renicing every time you
    find a problem".

    Get your head out of the sand, and stop this "nice" blathering.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.038 / U:2.688 seconds]