    SubjectRe: reducing stack usage in v4l?
    On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:15:52AM +0100, Gerd Knorr wrote:
    > But when looking at the disasm output it is obvious that it isn't true
    > (at least with gcc 3.2). On the other hand it is common practice in
    > many drivers, there must be a reason for that, no? Any chance this
    > used to work with older gcc versions?

    I don't believe so - I seem to remember looking at gcc 2.95 and finding
    the same annoying behaviour.

    > Not sure what is the best idea to fix that. Don't like the kmalloc
    > idea that much. The individual structs are not huge, the real problem
    > is that many of them are allocated and only few are needed. Any
    > chance to tell gcc that it should allocate block-local variables at
    > the start block not at the start of the function?

    Not a particularly clean idea, but maybe creating a union of the
    structures and putting that on the stack? (ie, doing what GCC should
    be doing in the first place.)

    --
    Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk) The developer of ARM Linux