    SubjectRe: 2.4 and cryptofs on raid1 - what will be cached and how many times

    Vlad Harchev wrote:

    >>A potential attacker can use this to look for the ext2 superblock,
    >>which gives him the same data both encrypted an unencrypted. A real
    >

    > I've got an impression that in case of loopback with encryption the
    > superblock will also be encrypted.
    > If one forgets known cleartext attacks, one can place the filesystem at
    > some offset.

    Yes it would be encrypted. Unfortunately it is predictable data and as
    such it is much easier to crack. Better set that offset at a location
    computed from the encryption key.

    On a side note I find it interesting that many people sugest compressing
    a file before encrypting it. Take a look at the first few bytes of
    every compressed file. Unless your going to get rid of that header...

    >>cryptofs would go through great pains to take such advantages away.

    - Bryan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:3.121 / U:0.008 seconds]