    SubjectRe: PCI init issues
    On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:

    > On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:16:22PM -0500, Donald Becker wrote:
    > > Incorrect.
    > > Most quad Tulip boards have the bus bridge wired so that all interrupts
    > > are sent on the INTA output of the board.
    > This can be true for older cards, but post-1998 hardware must follow
    > the spec.
    > PCI-to-PCI Bridge Architecture Specification, Rev 1.1, Dec 18, 1998,

    The reality is that most quad Tulip boards were designed before 1999,
    and therefore act as I described.

    Most of the experience is with quad Ethernet adapters, as there are few
    other common PCI boards with bus bridges.

    > I know for a fact that at least D-Link card mentioned in some reports
    > utilizes all four INT# lines, because I have one.

    The D-Link board is

    > Device 0 on a secondary bus will have its INTA# line connected to
    > the INTA# line of the connector. Device 1 will have its INTA# line
    > connected to INTB# of the connector. This sequence continues and
    > then wraps around once INTD# has been assigned."

    This seems to be what most x86 BIOSes assume (almost all BIOSes use the
    Intel reference code for PCI setup), even from 1995-era machines.
    But again, this does not match how _most_ of the quad boards are wired.
    Curiously, non-x86 machines usually work fine without the work-around,
    meaning that they have a different interpretation.

    Donald Becker
    Scyld Computing Corporation
    410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Scyld Beowulf cluster system
    Annapolis MD 21403 410-990-9993

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.020 / U:55.384 seconds]