SubjectRe: A suggestion for the netfilter part of the sources
On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:26:32PM -0500, David Laganière wrote:

> Since a couple of new kernel versions already, I use to modify two files
> related to the netfilter part to be able to add more
> ports for the IRC NAT module. I was wondering if you could definitively
> apply those modifications to the kernel sources.

We (the netfilter developers) thought that for the usual case, 8 ports
should be a reasonable compiletime-limit. I know, especially for IRC,
this largely depends on the number of IRC networks and servers you want
to support...

> Here are my two modifications:
>
> In /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/net/ipv4/netfilter:
> I change "#define MAX_PORTS 8" to "#define MAX_PORTS 15" in both
> "ip_conntrack_irc.c" and "ip_nat_irc.c".

yes, this is the (documented) way to compile with support for more ports

> I'd greatly appreciate a reply even though my suggestion is not a good one.

The suggestion is neither 'good' nor 'bad'. Nobody has (until now)
asked us to raise this value, eight seems to be enough for most people.

As long as your proposal is not backed by more other users who think the
default should be raised, I'd rather leave it the way it currently is.

btw: further discussion should happen at
netfilter-devel@lists.netfilter.org

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org> http://www.netfilter.org/
on while IP was being designed." -- Paul Vixie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.034 / U:0.304 seconds]