    SubjectRe: Bad interactive behaviour in 2.5.65-66 (sched.c)
    On Mon, Mar 31 2003, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > At 07:06 AM 3/31/2003 +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
    > >interactive
    > >it

    > >> I see the exact same behaviour here (systems appears fine, cpu intensive
    > >> app running, attempting to start anything _new_ stalls for ages), and I
    > >> definitely don't play X renice tricks.
    > >>
    > >> It basically made 2.5 unusable here, waiting minutes for an ls to even
    > >> start displaying _anything_ is totally unacceptable.
    > >
    > >I guess I should have trusted my own benchmark that was showing this was
    > >worse
    > >for system responsiveness.
    >
    > I don't think it's really bad for system responsiveness. I think the

    What drugs are you on? 2.5.65/66 is the worst interactive kernel I've
    ever used, it would be _embarassing_ to release a 2.6-test with such a
    rudimentary flaw in it. IOW, a big show stopper.

    > problem is just that the sample is too small. The proof is that simply
    > doing sleep_time %= HZ cures most of my woes. WRT contest and it's

    Irk, that sounds like a really ugly bandaid.

    I'm wondering why the scheduler guys aren't all over this problem,
    getting it fixed.

    --
    Jens Axboe