Subject2.4.21-pre6: mmx_memcpy not properly exposed to modules with Athlon
I've had a good deal of trouble this evening trying to compile
2.4.21-pre6 for the Athlon processor. It appears that when the
kernel's bzImage is built all is well, but building modules (for USB)
results in unresolved references to _mmx_memcpy in the modules.

From looking at the System.map file and nm vmlinux, it appears that
the _mmx_memcpy symbol is present and presumably thereby linkable.
I'm not certain why that symbol is not being resolved when I try to
depmod or insmod the USB modules.

I was able to work around the problem by building the bzImage for
Athlon, then doing a make config to switch the processor type to
PIII/Coppermine before building the modules, so that memcpy is not
#define'd to refer to _mmx_memcpy, but this is not a terribly
satisfying workaround.

Jonathan Abbey jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
Applied Research Laboratories The University of Texas at Austin
Ganymede, a GPL'ed metadirectory for UNIX http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/gash2

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.027 / U:0.396 seconds]