    SubjectRe: lm sensors sysfs file structure
    Greg KH wrote:
    > True, but multi-valued files are not allowed in sysfs. It's especially
    > obnoxious that you have 3 value files when you read them, but only
    > expect 2 values for writing. The way I split up the values in the
    > lm75.c driver shows a user exactly which values are writable, and
    > enforces this on the file system level.

    Agreed, I never knew which of the three values had which functionality.
    For via686a this would be inX, inX_min, inX_max, tempX, tempX_overshoot
    (over = overshoot = os ?), tempX_hyst, and so on.

    > Entry Values Function
    > ----- ------ --------
    > temp,
    > temp[1-3] 3 Temperature max, min or hysteresis, and input value.
    > Floating point values XXX.X or XXX.XX in degrees Celcius.

    If we're restructuring it, I think we should also agree on _one_ common
    denominator for all values ie. mVolt and milli-Degree Celsius, so that
    no userspace program ever again has know how to convert them to
    user-readable values and every user can just cat the values and doesn't
    have to wonder if it's centi-Volt, milli-Volt, centi-Degree, dezi-Degree
    or whatever.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.020 / U:15.108 seconds]