    Subjectwatching for file creation completion [was Re: Synchronous signal delivery..]
    hiya all,

    On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:45:18PM +0300, Paul P Komkoff Jr wrote:
    > These functions have one nice purpose: we can watch a directory hierarchy
    > for changes an efficient way. e.g. AFAIK via dnotify I can only see that
    > directory was changed, but cannot actually get all the changes. If I will
    > re-read all directory, I can miss some changes (if other process is
    > tampering with this dir too).

    fully agreed. queued events / batch notifications would also be kind of nice.

    the fact that it is not possible to see if a file write has been
    completely written out currently (i.e, written to and then closed)
    is quite frustrating. anyone got any ideas for this?

    currently i'm doing the ugly - readdir on dnotify signal, then
    check mtime's to see if > 5 seconds, and just assume the writing
    process has finished, then force a readdir in case any events
    were missed while dnotify notification was off.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.022 / U:31.188 seconds]