SubjectRe: Ptrace hole / Linux 2.2.25
Jörn Engel wrote:

>On Sun, 23 March 2003 14:38:10 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
>>- Anyone can go and release their own or 2.4.20-sec or
>> whatever if they feel strongly about it
>>Just go do it. If someone wants to be a contact point for build existing
>>base kernels + published security fix trees I'm pretty sure
>>would host them too.
>Sounds like a good idea. Ideal would be a person with a lottle
>knowledge about security or at least, about this particular patch.
>I would volunteer, if noone else does. But just about anyone would be
>closer to that ideal person, so consider me to be the last resort.

I think a solution like this would be best, having a "-fix" tree or
similar for
the latest stable kernel maintained by a volunteer and hosted by

Optionally or alternatively there could/should be a mailinglist (yes,
one more
:-) where all critical fixes like sec + fs fixes, etc. are posted to, for
people building their own kernels (and interested in staying up-to-date)
not willing/having the time/able to dig through the tons of emails
brought by
Cause I think if you're not an active kernel developer or having some
with running a kernel, or like me, just interested and still learning to
understand linux kernel programming in the far future ;-) you shouldn't have
to read lkml just for building and maintaining your own, none-vendor
Btw, if you had to, I think there might even be the danger of loosing some
critical fixes in the loads of emails.