    SubjectRe: Ptrace hole / Linux 2.2.25
    On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 12:30:43PM -0800, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

    > The distros inherently have a conflict of interest getting changes merged
    > back into mainline ... it's time consuming to do, it provides them no real
    > benefit (they have to maintain their huge trees anyway), and it actively
    > damages the "value add" they provide.

    I take a strong objection to this. I can't speak for all distros, but I
    know that Red Hat has a strong preference to get things merged upstream as
    soon as possible. I think you are absolutely wrong about the "no
    real benefit" part and that you totally misunderstand what value add
    distributions provide.

    > If that's people's attitude ("you should use a vendor"), then we need a
    > 2.4-fixed tree to be run by somebody with an interest in providing
    > critical bugfixes to the community with no distro ties.

    this is not about distros or vendors (yes IBM is a linux vendor too). at
    all. Marcelo is in a tough position; either he releases an emergency
    kernel with a patch applied that seems to have a few corner case issues,
    or he starts to rush out 2.4.21 based on the current
    2.4.21-pre codebase. Given that there are other bugs in 2.4.20
    that makes people say "but THIS needs to be in too", I can see
    that becoming a very fuzzy thing pretty quick. Apparantly Marcelo decided
    to go for the "get 2.4.21 out soon" approach.....

    Greetings,
    Arjan van de Ven

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:4.179 / U:1.048 seconds]