    SubjectRe: Ptrace hole / Linux 2.2.25
    On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 14:56, Martin Mares wrote:

    > But if you assume this, what are the official releases for anyway?

    Well, official releases have always been sort of arbitrary for the
    kernel... just labeled releases along the course of development.
    Although with the recent addition of the -rc patches, they tend to
    ensure the latest round of development at least resulted in a stable
    release. But look at all the major vendors - their 2.4.18 release, for
    example, may include whatever the latest pre-patch was at the time.

    Anyhow, to answer your question: the official releases are labels along
    the course of development for use by vendors, developers, and users who
    (as Alan described) can manage their own kernels.

    Do not get me wrong, I think users can and should compile their own
    kernel if they want. And as kernel developers, we should facilitate
    that. But if someone requires handholding and instant or controlled
    releases of bug fixes, they either need to be able to rely on their own
    ability to get them or their vendor. We have vendors for a reason,
    after all.

    Robert Love

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.024 / U:0.804 seconds]