SubjectRe: Deprecating .gz format on kernel.org
    Hi HPA :)

H. Peter Anvin dixit:
> At some point it probably would make sense to start deprecating .gz
> format files from kernel.org.

Just one point: while with kernel sources the space saving is
notable using .bz2 instead of .gz, in my experience with different
files, formats, etc... the saving is negligible and the speed just
sucks, gzip beats bzip2 for me in general.

Anyway I think bzip2 is standard nowadays.

> i) Does this sound reasonable to everyone? In particular, is there any
> loss in losing the "original" compressed files?

IMHO, just the decompression speed. I've made no tests, but if
the kernel sources behave like other archives I have, .gz is faster.
OTOH, you save a few megs for downloading, and this is *very*
important too.

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736