SubjectRe: Hardlocks with 2.4.21-pre5, pdc202xx_new (PDC20269) and shared IRQs
* Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> [2003-03-20 01:31]:
> On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 22:16, Wolfram Schlich wrote:
> > When one of the Promise controllers is sharing the same IRQ with one of
> > the NICs (don't matter which, I tried all) and data is copied *to* the
> > machine over the network, the system deadlocks. When data is copied
> > *from* the system over the network, it works all ok. Unfortunately the
> > system BIOS doesn't give me any possibility of setting the IRQ
> > channels by hand, so all I can do is put the cards into other slots.
> >

> Thats very useful information. There certain have been (and it seems
> still are) some cases with shared IRQ that are not quite handled right.
> The 2.4.21pre5/pre5-ac work has partly been about fixing it. Deadlocks
> suprise me however, since the problems I've seen have been I/O
> errors.

Well, now I have trashed my array :-)
-> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-raid&m=104811878405765&w=2

Btw., it spits out *lots* of messages when IRQ sharing is *disabled*
in the kernel config and just dies quietly when it's *enabled*
(having it dying before didn't mess up my array... ;)).

> However there is another known problem that does cause deadlocks with
> the AMD76x, especially if the onboard IDE is used. Shove a PS/2 mouse
> in the box, reboot and retest - if you dont already have one

?! I'm using the onboard IDE for two CDROM drives and one smaller
hard disk which I use rarely... and I didn't use any of these devices
in the cases in which I had the described problems... Anyway, why should I
connect a PS/2 mouse to the machine? Is it gonna solve all my
problems at once? ;-)
--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Yours sincerely
Wolfram Schlich; Friedhofstr. 8, D-88069 Tettnang; +49-(0)178-SCHLICH