    SubjectRe: 2.5.65-mm2
    On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 15:17, jjs wrote:
    > Steven P. Cole wrote:
    > >I repeated the tests with 2.5.65-mm2 elevator=deadline and the situation
    > >was similar to elevator=as. Running dbench on ext3, the response to
    > >desktop switches and window wiggles was improved over running dbench on
    > >reiserfs, but typing in Evolution was subject to long delays with dbench
    > >clients greater than 16.
    > >
    > >I rebooted with 2.5.65-bk and ran dbench on ext3 again. Everything was
    > >going smoothly, excellent interactivity, and then with dbench 28, the
    > >system froze. No response to pings, no response to alt-sysrq-b (after
    > >alt-sysrq-s). A hard reset was required. Nothing interesting logged.
    > >Too bad. Before it crashed, 2.5.65-bk was responding to typing in an
    > >Evolution new message window better than -mm2.
    > >
    > Just out of curiosity, what is the result of:
    > cat /proc/sys/sched/max_timeslice?
    > Does setting that to e.g. 50 make -mm2 smooth?
    > Joe

    [root@spc1 steven]# cat /proc/sys/sched/max_timeslice
    [root@spc1 steven]# echo 50 >/proc/sys/sched/max_timeslice
    [root@spc1 steven]# cat /proc/sys/sched/max_timeslice

    Ouch. I inserted the above text saved as a file, and had to wait
    over a minute after hitting the OK button. I aborted dbench which was
    running 24 clients on ext3 just to finish this.

    The change in max_timeslice didn't seem to improve things.

    Apart from the little matter of crashing, 2.5-bk was more usable at that
    and higher loads.

    I'll try the different value of max_timeslice with dbench on reiserfs
    next. That's where the lack of response was most evident.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.029 / U:0.272 seconds]