    SubjectRe: dual AMD MP 2000+ and ASUS A7M266-D problems
    On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 23:12, Dale Harris wrote:
    > 1 or 2 CPU with more than 1 DIMM, lucky to last 20 minutes, usually
    > less.
    >
    > I have tried each of the four DIMMs individually, they all appear to be
    > fine.
    >
    > So I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what the problem might
    > be. Is underclocking the chips all I can do?

    The A7M266-D is infamously picky about the PSU, about the DIMM quality
    and about the heat handling. Its one of the reasons I suspect that the
    dual athlon didn't get AMD into the enterprise market - goes like a
    rocket, requires space shuttle grade components and produces as much
    heat.

    I am using dual cpu and two dimms (ecc, registered). Contrary to the
    docs I've never managed to get it stable with 3 dimms.

    Also make sure you use a recommended PSU, many 400W PSU's don't
    produce the right amount of power on the right voltage lines.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.059 / U:116.712 seconds]