    SubjectRe: Never ever use word BitKeeper if Larry does not like you
    On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 09:09:15AM -0800, Davide Libenzi wrote:
    > > Ok, let's try again. Because honestly I'm pretty sick of this BK saga on
    > > lkml. It's maybe time to understand if people here is against Larry or
    > > against the BK license itself. It seems to me that there's the request of
    > > a read-only tool that is able to read BK repositories to fetch the latest
    > > kernel trees. I proposed before to Larry and to lkml to have Larry to
    > > release a read-only ( read-only here means, able only to fetch sources and
    > > related information ) BK binary under different licensing. Why this
    > > couldn't solve the problem if Larry and the anti-BK movement will find an
    > > agreement on the license ? Larry, is it possible to release such tool
    > > under a less strict license ?
    >
    > No.
    >
    > Because, in order to properly export data, you have to not understand
    > the BK file format, but you also have precisely follow BK's method
    > for creating the "weave" of changesets which produces a valid [GNU
    > patch / changeset / whatever].
    >
    > Thus, even to have an open source BK export tool requires that key
    > BK algorithms be open sourced.

    Precised that the CVS export works for this purpose, why should you need
    to open source algos to simply fetch sources from BK repos ? And, I was
    talking about a binary, not source.

    - Davide

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:3.798 / U:0.388 seconds]