    SubjectRe: Never ever use word BitKeeper if Larry does not like you

    On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 16:37, Larry McVoy wrote:

    > > I'd expect using a name like "BitBucket" to be much more at risk of
    > > being a trademark infringement than merely claiming that a project "aims
    > > to be BitKeeper compatible" or "can read BitKeeper repositories."
    > But it can't read BK repositories in many cases. We support compressed
    > repositories, it can't read those.

    That's a fair point, but

    "Goal of this project is to create version managment system
    compatible with BitKeeper"

    isn't actually claiming full compatibility.

    And before you say it, yes, I know that being compatible with bk
    involves _much_ more than just reading its repositories.

    > That's the whole point. If we sit back and let people think that he has
    > something remotely similar to BK, it devalues BitKeeper in the mind of
    > those people.

    Absolutely. I'm not questioning your right to get inaccurate
    comparisons corrected or removed. I'm just questioning whether you have
    the right to demand that _all_ comparisons with BitKeeper be removed,
    even when they are truthful (eg. "this project can read some
    BitKeeper[tm] repositories.)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.023 / U:115.124 seconds]