    SubjectRe: Never ever use word BitKeeper if Larry does not like you
    Hi,

    On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 16:21, John Jasen wrote:

    > > > Let's try a little simple substitution since you seem to be needing coffee
    > > > this morning:
    > > >
    > > > "Red Cap: a proprietary Red Hat clone"
    > > > "The goal of this system is to produce a system compatible with Red Hat"
    >
    > Check with your lawyers again, since Red Hat has posted in the past that
    > 'similar' namings would be chased after. I think the example they used was
    > 'Pink Fedora'.

    Having a product name "confusingly similar" to another one _is_ grounds
    for trademark action. See Lindows, Mobilix etc. (And yes, of course,
    it's a very subjective thing in many cases.)

    But simply comparing one product to another is not the same.

    I'd expect using a name like "BitBucket" to be much more at risk of
    being a trademark infringement than merely claiming that a project "aims
    to be BitKeeper compatible" or "can read BitKeeper repositories."

    Cheers,
    Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.020 / U:1.304 seconds]