    SubjectRe: 2.4.20 instability on bigmem systems?
    On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:27:22PM -0800, Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade wrote:
    > The primary problem: Whenever any process (or set of processes) initiates
    > intensive disk I/O, the system grinds to a halt, kswapd and kupdated
    > consume upwards of 40% to 60% CPU each, and system load averages can jump
    > upwards of 21.00. The problem can be replicated with a simple find command
    > ("find / -print" seems to do it nicely).
    > I have had two rather painful nights dealing with this (Monday and Tuesday
    > nights). Luckily, I have a serial null-modem cable rigged up between the
    > troubled server and another server, and was able to capture all the info
    > from the Magic Sysrq commands that I could.
    > Full details are at http://castandcrew.com/~gregory/lkmlstuff/burpr/2.4.20

    Hmm, slabinfo would be very helpful, as well as meminfo.

    On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:27:22PM -0800, Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade wrote:
    > I've included the kernel config, the kernel and initrd images, the system
    > map file, output from "ps auxfww" and a couple screen scrapings from top,
    > and captures from magic sysrq commands from both crashes.
    > I had problems like this with 2.4.19, and was directed to apply a patch to
    > inode.c, which appears to be part of a patch set for 2.4.19pre9aa2. I've
    > archived it at:
    > http://castandcrew.com/~gregory/lkmlstuff/burpr/2.4.19/patches/10_inode-highmem-2
    > For 2.4.19, this solves _most_ of the stability issues, but I still have to
    > work with the LVM people and possibly whomever is responsible for the VM in
    > 2.4.19/2.4.20 to track down some kernel oopses (possibly a seperate
    > problem.)
    > I will happily provide whatever other information is needed, though my
    > opportunities to test things on the machine in question is limited by the
    > fact that it's a production server.

    You might need bh stuff (memclass-related or something like it) if it's
    general disk io. Can't be too sure until slabinfo + meminfo materialize.

    -- wli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.024 / U:33.512 seconds]