    SubjectRe: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone

    > > [Long rant, summary: it's harder than you think, read on for the details]
    > [skipping long description]
    > OK, so here is my distillation of Larry's post.
    > Basic summary: a distributed, replicated, version controlled user level file
    > system with no limits on any of the file system events which may happened
    > in parallel. All changes must be put correctly back together, no matter how
    > much parallelism there has been.
    > * Merging.
    > * The graph structure.
    > * Distributed rename handling. Centralized systems like Subversion don't
    > have as many problems with this because you can only create one file in
    > one directory entry because there is only one directory entry available.
    > In distributed rename handling, there can be an infinite number of different
    > files which all want to be src/foo.c. There are also many rename corner-cases.
    > * Symbolic tags. This is adding a symbolic label on a revision. A distributed
    > system must handle the fact that the same symbol can be put on multiple
    > revisions. This is a variation of file renaming. One important thing to
    > consider is that time can go forward or backward.
    > * Security semantics. Where should they go? How can they be integrated
    > into the system? How are hostile users handled when there is no central
    > server to lock down?
    > * Time semantics. A distributed system cannot depend on reported time
    > being correct. It can go forward or backward at any rate.
    > I'd be willing to maintain this as the beginning of a feature list and
    > post it regularly to lkml if enough people feel it would be useful and not
    > annoying. The goal would be to identify the features/problems that would

    Actually, check it in bitbucket's repository
    on; it should not be annoying
    (He he "send it to the bitbucket" :-)
    Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.022 / U:27.248 seconds]