    SubjectRe: 2.5.63 accesses below %esp (was: Re: ntfs OOPS (2.5.63))

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > The difficulty is finidng the right instruction boundary. It's basically
    > impossible.

    If I understand you correctly, no. We have the boundary at EIP.
    Decoding what's before is max 7-8 tries by a human and one can figure
    out the real code from the context (with high probability). 2-3 times
    more code before EIP then after could significantly help of course.

    > If you want to get the instructions before that point, just use
    >
    > gdb vmlinux

    This approach frequently fails because vmlinux is on a users computer
    far away and he

    1) doesn't bother answering anymore
    2) recompiled with different .config
    3) reinstalled another distro
    4) etc

    > and disassemble it by hand. Because the kernel _cannot_ do it reliably.

    The kernel shouldn't do it, it's not disassembler. It should just give
    enough data for a human and disassembler. Nothing lost but much can be
    gain.

    Szaka

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.030 / U:1.512 seconds]