SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] BK->CVS (real time mirror)
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:

> > Larry, this brings up something I was meaning to ask you before this
> > thread exploded. What happens to those "logical change" numbers over
> > time?
> They are stable in the CVS tree because the CVS tree isn't distributed.
> So "Logical change 1.900" in the context of the exported CVS tree is
> always the same thing. That's one advantage centralized has, things
> don't shift around on you.

Isn't there a more general problem, though? (I hope I'm wrong)

You want to update the CVS tree near-realtime. However, the longest-path
through your graph may change with new merges, but CVS of course cannot
cope with already committed data changing (already committed csets may
all of a sudden not be in the longest path anymore)? This is a CVS
limitation, of course, but still a problem AFAICS.