    SubjectLinux BUG: Memory Leak
    Date
    I sent this here because i don't know which author screwed up.

    Basically, it's a massive kernel memory leak or a VM problem.

    System specs:
    1 GBytes RAM
    duel CPU system; 1 Ghz each.
    IDE disk system, 133 Mhz bus speed, DMA.
    USB mouse.
    PS/2 Keyboard.
    Creative Labs emu10k1-based sound card. (LIVE!)
    Asus Motherboard.

    Problem:

    When I boot the system, run X11 with KDE--totalling 100 M at most--things
    are fine.

    When I run applications that use quite a bit of memory -- those that use 500
    Megs of RAM -- Linux keeps on allocating memory until it's full. When full,
    system acts dead, as expected from the bad VM design. But why does the
    system allocate memory until the RAM is full? User applications are NOT
    leaking memory.

    Example: Installing Unreal Tournament 2003 -- from the CD drive, IDE -- for
    example, playing mp3 files and browsing the web with Mozilla, and the system
    will eventually allocate memory until the system freezes. All of RAM is
    allocated, and the system is frozen.

    Possible problem: VM algorithm is not too good, and should take a lesson to
    BSD; or the kernel is leaking memory -- unknown location. I'll look into
    the problem in a few weeks when i'm free; but now, i got work.

    I'm sure many people are getting this problem...

    I can fix the problem, but i got engineering projects to worry about.

    Matt.