    SubjectRe: [patch, rfc] lt-epoll ( level triggered epoll ) ...
    On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, bert hubert wrote:

    > On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 12:15:25PM -0800, Davide Libenzi wrote:
    >
    > > 2) Existing apps using poll/select can easily be ported usinf LT epoll
    >
    > This is a big thing. I created a webserver based on MTasker
    > (ds9a.nl/mtasker) that used select, poll or epoll and it was very hard to
    > abstract this properly as level and edge semantics differ so wildly.
    >
    > Most programs will not abandon 'legacy' interfaces like poll and select and
    > will only want to offer epoll in addition. Right now that is hard to do.

    I agree here. It took 15 minutes to port thttpd to LT epoll.

    > > 1) We leave epoll as is ( ET )
    > > 2) We apply the patch that will make epoll LT
    > > 3) We add a parameter to epoll_create() to fix the interface behaviour at
    > > creation time ( small change on the current patch )
    > >
    > > With 2) and 3) there are also man pages to be reviewed to be posted to
    > > Andries. Comments ?
    >
    > I'd vote for 2.

    I received a bunch of private emails ( ppl that are using ET epoll )
    asking me to have both behaviours. The code require no more than 10 lines
    of code to give both possibilities. We have two options in doing that :

    1)
    We add a parameter to epoll_create() that will set the interface behaviour
    at creation time :

    #define EPOLL_ET (1 << 0)

    int epoll_create(int size, int flags);

    2)
    We can go at fd granularity by leaving the API the same, and we define :

    #define EPOLLET (1 << 31)

    events = EPOLLIN | EPOLLET;

    What do you think ?

    - Davide