SubjectRe: syslog full of kernel BUGS, frequent intermittent instability
On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 04:03:50PM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-01 14:55:58 +0000, John Bradford <john@grabjohn.com>
> wrote in message <200303011455.h21EtwhU000402@81-2-122-30.bradfords.org.uk>:
> > > It's the mandrake default AFAIK. I don't know what all that stuff is,
> > > so I don't mess with it. My installation does "feel" bloated (very
> > > unscientific opinion): it "feels" much less responsive in the GUI
> >
> > /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults 1 1
> >
> > which you can change to
> >
> > /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults, noatime 1 1
> you loose -----^
>
> > This is a bit off-topic, but in my experience is about the best way to
> > increase performance on old, (and not so old), hardware, apart from
> > compiling a custom kernel. Without noatime, every time you read a
> > file, the current date and time is written to the disk. With noatime,
> > it's only recorded for a write. Almost no programs use the access
> > time data.
>
> Except some email clients...

And as you and i already hashed out on the rsync list mutt is
perfectly happy and fully functional with noatime,nodiratime
because it updates the atime manually which still works.
As the headers indicate i'm using mutt, It spots new mail
in other mboxes just fine with noatime turned on. I get the
"Inc:" count, c<tab> works, and folder lists indicate
correctly which folders have been updated since last visit.

Perhaps you are thinking of another MUA or an oooold version
of mutt?