    SubjectRe: stochastic fair queueing in the elevator [Re: [BENCHMARK] 2.4.20-ck3 / aa / rmap with contest]
    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > note that issuing a fsync should change all pending writes to 'syncronous'
    > > as should writes to any partition mounted with the sync option, or writes
    > > to a directory with the S flag set.
    >
    > We know, at I/O submission time, whether a write is to be waited upon.
    > That's in writeback_control.sync_mode.

    An fsync might change already submitted asynchronous writes
    into synchronous writes, but this is not something I'm going
    to lose sleep over. ;)

    > That, combined with an assumption that "all reads are synchronous" would
    > allow the outgoing BIOs to be appropriately tagged.
    >
    > It's still approximate.

    Sounds like a good enough approximation to me.

    Rik
    http://www.surriel.com/ http://guru.conectiva.com/
    Current spamtrap: <a href=mailto:"october@surriel.com">october@surriel.com</a>