    SubjectRe: [BUG] vmalloc, kmalloc - 2.4.x
    On 3 Feb 2003, Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:

    > few days ago i started to port driver for our hardware in company from
    > windows to linux. It is simple ISA card, which gives me interrupt each
    > 8ms. So i can check it state and latch some sort of watchdog on it -
    > saying that i am still running (just for security, if system hangs card
    > is blocking all inputs/outputs).
    >
    > But anyway, i was collecting all data from the card in dynamically
    > allocated memory. This gives me at least 300 * 20 bytes allocated. i
    > have sigle small allocation running on each interrupt.
    >
    > Driver is working fine under win2k even if i collect as much as 10000
    > allocations, afterwards system uses loads of processor.
    >
    > Linux (2.4.19 ,2.4.20, 2.4.21-pre[1,2,3,4] i tried so far) gives me oups
    > arount 80th allocation.
    >
    > >From http://hit-six.co.uk/~gj/testmod.tar.bz2 you can download simple
    > module that shows what happends. But be carefull, it oupses very fast !
    >
    > system is running up2dated Debian(stable), and i am using gcc version:
    > gcc version 2.95.4 20011002

    I doubt that there is a bug in vmalloc or kmalloc as you state because
    the machine wouldn't work at all. So, I tried to download your sources.
    The file web-page claims that it's a ".bz2" file. However, once
    downloaded, it becomes a "*.tar.tar" file (whatever that is). An attempt
    to extract it with `tar` as `tar -xzf` fails, as does `tar -xf`. Attempts
    to un-bz2 it with bzip2 or even bzip2recover fails also.

    So, if you want some help finding the problems, please email me
    a 'tar.gz` file directly.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.032 / U:59.196 seconds]