    SubjectRe: anyone ever done multicast AF_UNIX sockets?

    On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Chris Friesen wrote:

    > It is fairly common to want to distribute information between a single
    > sender and multiple receivers on a single box.
    >
    > Multicast IP sockets are one possibility, but then you have additional
    > overhead in the IP stack.

    I think this is a _very weak_ reason.
    Without addressing any of your other arguements, can you describe what
    such painful overhead you are talking about? Did you do any measurements
    and under what circumstances are unix sockets vs say localhost bound
    udp sockets are different? I am not looking for hand waving reason of
    "but theres an IP stack".

    cheers,
    jamal

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.020 / U:120.240 seconds]